Pay scale: £8.72 per hour
Hours: 10 hrs per week (4.00pm-6.00pm Monday to Friday)
Contract: Part-Time, Permanent, Term Time Only (plus 15 days during some school holidays)
Start Date: As soon as possible
We are currently looking to appoint a cleaner to join our maintenance and premises team at Tower College.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a highly organised individual to help create, maintain and manage a safe learning environment for our young people and staff. You will have a keen eye for detail to ensure our facilities are clean, safe and well maintained.
The successful candidate will be a committed team player with excellent organisational and technical skills. You will have the ability to effectively problem solve and provide excellent customer service to our community. The ability to use tact and discretion when dealing with people is essential. The post will also require initiative and the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently, with minimal supervision
You will have:
- Previous cleaning post
- Ability to undertake a range of cleaning duties.
- The highest standards in all that you do.
- Demonstrate good inter-personal skills and communicate with a range of people
The successful candidate will perform a variety of tasks associated with the maintenance of a safe, clean and hygienic environment. Key duties may include the vacuuming, dusting, sweeping and mopping of floors, corridors and rooms. Cleaning bathrooms and toilets and ensuring that cleaning materials are safely stored.
Tower College is an independent co-educational day school for 3-16 year old pupils. It was founded in 1948, located in Rainhill, St Helens. We are proud to deliver an outstanding all-round education with a strong emphasis on character development, transferable skills and preparation for life beyond school.
If you believe you have the commitment and desire to work in an environment which values staff as well as setting the highest standards and expectations, then please apply using the online application form below
Closing date for applications: Monday 22nd March 2021
Early applications are strongly encouraged as we would like to secure the right appointment as soon as possible.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All appointments are subject to references and an Enhanced DBS check before confirmation.
Job title: Cleaner
Salary: £8.72 per hour
Hours: 10 hours per week (16:00-18:00 Monday to Friday)
Contract type: Permanent, term time only (plus 15 days deep cleans throughout the school during school holidays as directed)
Reporting to: Site Manager, Business Manager and Principal
The cleaner will:
- Provide a cleaning service for the school. Duties may include working in all types of rooms, including offices, classrooms, hall, corridors, toilets
Duties and responsibilities
The normal duties will usually include the following:
- To be responsible for cleaning certain parts of the school site as allocated by the Site Manager and following Health & Safety guidelines
- The safe use of chemicals and cleaning materials as instructed by the Site Manager following Health and Safety guidelines and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- To operate cleaning machinery in cleaning soft and hard surfaces, eg. vacuum cleaners and polishers following Health & Safety guidelines.
- To maintain all School standards of hygiene and safety of all Cleaning equipment and Cleaning Cupboards in your charge.
- To report any hazards, defects and any relevant factors of building or environment safety that may be detrimental to safe working practices and normal school operations, immediately to the Site Manager.
- To report any hazards, defects and any relevant factors of breakdowns of equipment that may be detrimental to safe working practices, immediately to the Site Manager.
- Duties to include the following:
- Vacuum cleaning hard and soft floors
- Spot cleaning of spillages
- Wiping furniture, ledges, pipes, paintwork, doors and polishing door glass
- Emptying and cleaning bins
- Cleaning toilets including sanitary fittings and surrounds
- Mopping and spray cleaning hard floor surfaces
- Wiping and polishing and straightening furniture
- Replenishing janitorial supplies in toilets, etc
- Checking and closing windows, switching off lights after work
- Such other duties as may be allocated from time to time
- Be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people within the school, raising any concerns following school protocol/procedures;
- Monitor the use of all departmental equipment to ensure it is correctly used and to ensure its security. Equipment shall be returned promptly to secure storage. All faults with equipment must be reported immediately to the relevant person
Notes: During periods when the school is closed, routine cleaning is undertaken throughout the school. This may include stripping and sealing floors, high level dusting, wall washing, etc.
- Take part in the school’s appraisal procedures
Working with colleagues and other relevant professionals
- Collaborate and work with colleagues and other relevant professionals within and beyond the school
- Develop effective professional relationships with colleagues
Personal and professional conduct
- Uphold public trust in the profession and maintain high standards of ethics and behaviour, within and outside school
- Have proper and professional regard for the ethos, policies and practices of the school, and maintain high standards of attendance and punctuality
During the course of employment, you will have access to information of a confidential nature. Under no circumstances may this information be divulged or passed on to any unauthorised person or organisation. In addition, he/she must process the data and personal information in accordance with the terms and conditions of the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and properly applied to pupil, staff and school business/information.
The post holder will be required to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people, and follow school policies and the staff code of conduct.
Please note that this is illustrative of the general nature and level of responsibility of the role. It is not a comprehensive list of all tasks that the teacher will carry out. The post holder may be required to do other duties appropriate to the level of the role, as directed by the principal or line manager.
Education and qualifications
- Able to communicate clearly and follow instructions
Experience and skills
- Previous cleaning experience
- Ability to prioritise work
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Must have high standards of cleanliness
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of people.
- Initiative and the ability to work without supervision.
- Work as part of a team.
- Be flexible to changing demands of the post.
- Take pride in a job well done
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the role
This job description may be amended at any time in consultation with the postholder.
Last review date: March 2020
Principal’s signature: _______________________________________
Post holder’s signature: _______________________________________