Every young person needs high-quality career guidance to make informed decisions about their future. Mrs Davies has recently been appointed as our Careers and PHSE Adviser and she will be using the Gatsby benchmarks of Good Career Guidance to ensure that our pupils receive the very best guidance in this area.
The eight Gatsby benchmarks of Good Career Guidance are:
1. A stable careers programme
2. Learning from career and labour market information
3. Addressing the needs of each pupil
4. Linking curriculum learning to careers
5. Encounters with employers and employees
6. Experiences of workplaces
7. Encounters with further and higher education
8. Personal guidance
Over the coming months, we will informing you of ways in which we can work in partnership with you to best support our pupils in making their career choices. We will signpost services that provide professional guidance on careers’ advice and we will be holding careers’ events such as talks from our Alumni, parents and visiting career fairs.
We realise there is a need to bring the somewhat disparate worlds of education and employment into closer dialogue. This is certainly not about turning our curriculum into a production line for employment. Rather, it is about ensuring that our pupils emerge from Tower College with the skills and knowledge that enable them to participate in post-compulsory education, in working life, and become the workers, leaders, entrepreneurs and citizens of the future.
As part of our Careers Programme for Years 9 – 11, we would like to introduce, Youth Employment UK, a website which offers extensive careers’ advice including:
- General careers help
- Choices help
- Student finance help
- Mental health issues
- Post school, apprenticeships & UNI routes
- Useful skills, qualifications and experience tips
- UK job trends for top careers information
Should you require any further help or assistance please do not hesitate to contact