Pay scale: £24,500 p.a.
Hours: 40 Hours per week, 52 weeks per year
To start as soon as possible
The Governors are seeking an experienced highly motivated Assistant Site Manager to care for our lovely school. We are looking for someone to help us provide a safe environment for our staff and pupils, provide strong leadership within the department and will provide efficient and effective support to the Site Manager and Senior Management Team.
We require someone who has:
- Experience of general building and site maintenance
- Experience of managing refurbishment projects or developing small premises related projects
- Experience of managing teams in respect of planning & allocating workflow, coordinating the work of others to an appropriate standard.
- To be prepared to carry out routine decorating works
- To be flexible and liaise with school staff
- Ability to prioritise and manage own workload in a fast-paced environment
- Approachable with ability to quickly build a rapport with a diverse range of individuals
- A genuine opportunity to make a difference
- Professional development opportunities
- An interesting and varied role which is crucial to the wellbeing of the children in our school
If you believe you have the commitment and desire to work in an environment which values staff as well as setting the highest standards and expectations then please apply using the School application form, available with more details from https://towercollege.com/category/vacancies/
To apply please complete the on-line application form, via our school website. We strongly advise that you read through the example submission firstly.
Closing date: Tuesday 13th October @ 12noon
Interviews: Friday 16th October
Candidates will be notified (by email) by Wednesday 14th October, if they have been selected for an interview.
Tower College is an independent co-educational day school for 3-16 year old pupils. It was founded in 1948, located in Rainhill, St Helens. We are proud to deliver an outstanding all-round education with a strong emphasis on character development, transferable skills and preparation for life beyond school.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All appointments are subject to references and an Enhanced DBS check before confirmation.
Diversity and Equality Statement
Tower College is committed to encouraging and sustaining a positive and supportive working environment for our staff, and an excellent teaching and learning experience for our students.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff. The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and this includes promoting equality and diversity for all irrespective of:
- ethnicity (including race, colour and nationality)
- gender reassignment
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- refugees and asylum seekers
- people with diverse communication needs
Job title: Assistant Site Manager – Maintenance
Salary: £24,500 p.a.
Hours: 40 Hours per week
Shift pattern fortnightly: 07:30-18:00 (07:30-16:30 and 09:00-18:00) Monday to Friday (with 60-minute unpaid lunch break) plus preparation meetings, meetings and school events outside these hours, as required
Contract type: Permanent, All year round
Reporting to: Site Manager, Business Manager and Principal
The purpose of the role is to provide a high quality and effective maintenance service and to ensure the facilities are unlocked each morning and the site is secure each evening (when covering for the Site Manager). Responsible to the Site Manager
The post holder is responsible to and works closely with the Site Manager and Business Manager. The post holder also interacts on a professional level with other colleagues and seeks to establish and maintain productive relationships with children and parents.
Duties and responsibilities
- To walk around the school site before the school day starts, highlighting any issues that have occurred overnight. Checking central heating boilers are running and the heating is on. In the winter, grit roads and pathways and put out safety signage as appropriate. Any issues are to be reported to the Site Manager or Business Manager.
- To attend a daily meeting with the Site Manager to discuss jobs for the day.
- To assist with the maintenance, upkeep and refurbishment of the estate, premises and contents of the School as required
- To monitor visitors/contractors working on site in the absence of the Site Manager.
- To perform a wide range of work practices and trade skills within the concept of flexible multi skilled working
- To learn new skills, techniques and practices for various trades, health and safety and grounds maintenance
- To assist and carry out works within the departments planned maintenance schedule as required
- Carry out proactive and reactive remedial works covering all aspects of building, grounds and product maintenance
- Plan and carry out preventative maintenance work under the direction of your supervisor
- Liaise with your supervisor to ensure that suitable stock is maintained for the department
- Liaise with your supervisor to ensure that tools and equipment are suitable, sufficient and fit for purpose
- Carry out routine maintenance and testing for complete records for equipment provided for safety, firefighting and safe evacuation
- Carry out minor plumbing, internal and external drainage and gutter repairs and the removal of blockages in sanitary ware
- Carry out planned decorative work and reactive decorative repair works as directed by the Site Manager
- Carry out grounds maintenance and reactive grounds repair works as directed by the Site Manager
- Carry out minor carpentry and masonry repairs to the fabric of the building as directed by the Site Manager
- Carry out portaging duties and assist with the removal and fitting of office and classroom furniture as directed by the Site Manager
- To carry out and comply with risk assessments for all significant risk associated with the activities of the position and the School
- Assist with the removal and safe management of all waste and comply with any recycling and environmental initiatives introduced by the School
- Maintain a smart appearance at all times wearing facilities clothing provided and act as an ambassador for the Maintenance team
- To work with your supervisor to identify any training and development needs and actively seek out improvement opportunities as well as undertaking professional development as required by the School
- To comply with all School policies and procedures and undertake training as required
- To safeguard the wellbeing of children at the School, including responsibility for reporting any child protection matters to the Schools Child Protection Coordinator
- Responsible for locking and unlocking the site, following a set security schedule
- Any other duties commensurate with the level and grade of the post
- To complete routine or planned maintenance tasks as allocated by the Site Manager, such as gutter cleaning, painting, floor polishing and general repairs.
- To undertake minor painting and decorating jobs as required.
- Joinery – first line maintenance of fixtures and fittings, and minor repairs.
- Plumbing – unblocking sinks, taps and waste pipes, dealing with leaking taps and burst pipes.
- Electrical – changing plugs, fuses and bulbs.
- To undertake PAT and legionella testing.
- Cleaning as and when required
- To undertake general maintenance of the external areas
- To dispose of waste materials in a safe, hygienic manner ensuring that it is available for collection as required.
- Maintain cleanliness and general tidiness of all external areas to a high standard.
- To assist with setting up rooms for meetings and events as required.
- To assist in lifting and moving heavy items.
Health, safety and discipline
- To work with regard to Health and Safety at all times wearing correct PPE when appropriate.
- To take on the role of fire warden.
- To use power tools and garden machinery safely.
- To report any damaged equipment or any potential hazard immediately.
- To comply with the requirements of Health & Safety and all relevant school policies Be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people within the nursery and school, raising any concerns following school protocol/procedures;
- Take part in the school’s appraisal procedures;
- Be responsible for improving yourself through participating fully in training and development opportunities identified by the nursery or as an outcome of your appraisal;
- Where appropriate, take part in the appraisal and professional development of others
Working with colleagues and other relevant professionals
- Collaborate and work with colleagues and other relevant professionals within and beyond the school;
- Develop effective professional relationships with colleagues
Personal and professional conduct
- Uphold public trust in the profession and maintain high standards of ethics and behaviour, within and outside nursery;
- Have proper and professional regard for the ethos, policies and practices of the nursery, and maintain high standards of attendance and punctuality;
- Understand and act within the statutory frameworks setting out their professional duties and responsibilities
Person Specification (E = Essential; D = Desirable)
Education and qualifications
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of working in a maintenance/support service role and the ability to undertake a wide range of maintenance duties
- Understanding of safe working practices and basic Health & Safety legislation.
- Sound understanding of safeguarding children
- Demonstrable experience relevant to the position
- Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation
- Knowledge of COSHH regulations, safe storage and working practices
- Trades background (joinery, decorating, plumbing)
Skills and abilities
- Must possess good communication skills
- Must be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of building trade skills and/or grounds maintenance
- Ability to work as part of a team and on your own initiative
- Ability to work with enthusiasm and motivation without direct supervision or when part of a team
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines whilst maintaining a high standard of work.
- Good level of physical fitness, including the ability to lift and carry equipment from place to place.
- Responsible and reliable.
- Flexible and dedicated with a polite attitude.
- Willingness to undertake training.
During the course of employment, you will have access to information of a confidential nature. Under no circumstances may this information be divulged or passed on to any unauthorised person or organisation. In addition, he/she must process the data and personal information in accordance with the terms and conditions of the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and properly applied to pupil, staff and school business/information.
The post holder will be required to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people, and follow school policies and the staff code of conduct.
Please note that this is illustrative of the general nature and level of responsibility of the role. It is not a comprehensive list of all tasks that the teacher will carry out. The post holder may be required to do other duties appropriate to the level of the role, as directed by the principal or line manager.
The practitioner will be required to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people, and follow nursery policies and the staff code of conduct.
Please note that this is illustrative of the general nature and level of responsibility of the role. It is not a comprehensive list of all tasks that the practitioner will carry out. The postholder may be required to do other duties appropriate to the level of the role, as directed by the principal or line manager.
This job description may be amended at any time in consultation with the postholder.
Last review date: September 2020
Principal’s signature: _______________________________________
Post holder’s signature: _______________________________________