Pay scale: £12,575p.a
Hours: 33.75 Hrs
Contract: Part-Time, Permanent, Term Time Only
Start Date: As soon as possible
We are looking for candidates that are dynamic and highly motivated to work with the principal and senior management team in shaping the vision, direction, performance and future of the School. You will have very strong interpersonal, administrative, IT, organisational and communication skills
The role ensures that Tower College moves forward both organisationally, educationally and commercially. The ability to use tact and discretion when dealing with people is essential. The post will also require initiative and the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently, with minimal supervision
Tower College is an independent co-educational day school for 3-16 year old pupils. It was founded in 1948, located in Rainhill, St Helens. We are proud to deliver an outstanding all-round education with a strong emphasis on character development, transferable skills and preparation for life beyond school.
The successful candidates will:
- be able to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing) at all levels to a variety of audiences e.g. pupils, staff, parents, visitors;
- promote a positive working environment;
- be able to prioritise workloads; have excellent time management and organisational skills;
- be able to meet deadlines
- produce accurate work
- be approachable and co-operative, with a ‘can do’ attitude
- be confident and fluent IT skills, be confident in the use of Excel, Word, email and database programs
- have the ability to deal with confidential matters
- have ideally have experience of working in a school environment (but not essential)
If you believe you have the commitment and desire to work in an environment which values staff as well as setting the highest standards and expectations, then please apply using the online application form below
Closing date for applications: Midday, Monday 22nd February 2021
Interviews will take place: w/c 22nd February 2021. (dependent upon Government guidance, this may be online using Microsoft Teams)
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All appointments are subject to references and an Enhanced DBS check before confirmation.
Job title: Admin and Relations Support
Hours: 33.75 hrs During Term Time 08:15- 16:00 Monday to Friday (with 60-minute lunch break)
Contract type: Permanent, Term Time only
Reporting to: Principal and Business Manager
The Admin Assistant will:
- To provide secretarial, clerical and administrative support to the School
- Ensure all necessary pupil records and notes are kept up to date on school systems, including SEN and medical information, ensuring compliance with the School’s policy on data protection
- Maintain records to allow communication with Alumni
- To be proactive in the planning and delivery of major school events organised by the SMT (such as open days, parent evenings, conferences, whole-school events, etc.).
- Will act as the Educational Visits Coordinator assistant, specifically;
- Supporting co-ordination of the whole-school calendar in planning trips and acting as the liaison between those staff organising the event and the Vice principal.
- Booking transport in consultation with staff leading the trip.
- Liaising with staff leading the trip regarding the completion of risk assessments.
- Maintain good working relationships with the Governing Body, Senior Management Team, Teaching Staff and support staff.
- Contribute to the maintenance and development of the Management Information System (“MIS”)
Duties and responsibilities
- To work alongside the Business Manager to provide a seamless, effective and efficient administrative experience within the School
- Answering the telephone and taking and passing on messages;
- Ensuring effective and professional communication when dealing with parental requests and enquiries.
- Updating and maintenance of the Reception area display screen;
- Receiving visitors and guests on behalf of the School; ensuring that the visitors sign in procedure is followed
- Ensuring that enquiries are dealt with effectively and promptly;
- Maintaining and securing filing systems to ensure confidentiality;
- Monitoring the progress of high-priority tasks to ensure that deadlines are met;
- Production of lists from MIS for emergency contacts, school trips, twilight and coaches;
- Reception and general office duties such as welcoming visitors, answering the telephone, passing on messages, photocopying and letters
- Support SMT as required, such as writing letters, arranging meetings, making transport and other arrangements
- Assisting in the preparation and printing of documents for publication ranging from programmes for plays and concerts to notices for parents or staff;
- Collating of registers for external clubs and liaising with club staff and Accounts Department;
- Liaising with staff, pupils and parents regarding visitors to the School.
- Liaising with Academic Departments in the School, in particular the Music Department and the PE Department, over pupil lessons, shared activities and School events;
- To deal with all members of the School and its local community in a friendly and helpful way;
- Input, monitoring and production of the termly calendar.
- Distribute letters and correspondence when required
- To be aware of and ensure confidentiality at all times.
- To cover absence and breaks, if required, for other colleagues.
- To raise requisitions, purchase orders and goods, receive deliveries ordered via Purchase Ordering system
Registration of pupils
- Be the prime point of contact for recording of planned absence from school by parents and guardians
- Ensuring that attendance registers are completed by staff and any resultant action taken. Daily reports and weekly summaries produced for signing-off by SMT;
- Monitor the process of regular registrations being taken my form or class teachers at the beginning of each school session. Chasing up missing registration returns from staff
- Support the late registration of pupils on assembly days
- Provide regular reporting of individual and group school lateness and absence data as required by the SMT
- Note details of any pupils who leave or re-enter the school during the school day e.g. for medical appointments and record these in the school MIS
- Be the main point of contact for information on daily absences from school as reported prior to the school day by email, telephone or school portal. Recording such absences on the school MIS
- Observe and record late arrivals at school reception or assembly and record such information into the school MIS
- Assemble a list of authorised absences daily and contact parents of those pupils whose absence school is unaware of
- Communicate to the Principal, Vice-Principal or Assistant Vice-Principal about those pupils who cannot be accounted for
- Monitor the timing of coach arrivals each morning to ascertain their impact on lateness
Internal & External Relations
- Preparing electronic and print communications:
- Developing and updating the Schools web pages under the direction of Business Manager or Bursar
- Support in the drafting of electronic staff/student newsletters for the School, where needed
- Assemble contributions, and draft copy for, the Schools newsletter
- Assist with the production of other communications as required.
- Social Media
- Maintaining a constant presence across key social media platforms, as directed by the Business Manager or Bursar
- Supporting key staff members in maintaining blogs and social media presence.
- Research and analyse social media platforms to optimise the Schools presence externally and engage with alumni.
- Assist the SMT with the School events, external stakeholders and any appropriate activity that are for the interests of the School
- Undertaking other tasks as determined by the Business Manager to support the School’s Alumni
- Administering First Aid to pupils and staff
- Recording accidents and illnesses and parent communication
- Ensure all students have completed a medical form and data uploaded on schools MIS
- Staff medical questionnaires to be completed annually and by new members of staff throughout the year
- First aid kits to be checked and ensure that they are complete and up to date at all times
- Accident records to be maintained and kept in sequence order with Staff/Adult and Children records kept separately
- First Aid Policy to be kept up to date annually
- Check that all medicines in school are continually in date
- Pupil Medical information to be provided to class teachers at the beginning of the academic year and updated with any changes throughout the year
- 1st aiders lists (including in Policy) and green first aid notices throughout school to be kept up to date
- Keep a record of when staff first aid certificates are due to expire and chase staff members a month prior to expiry date
- Notifying the Principal of any accidents that need to be reported to RIDDOR.
- To assist the Principal in maintaining and promoting the excellent reputation of Tower College whenever appropriate;
- To set high personal standards of presentation, behaviour and service as a representative of Tower College;
- Monitoring and review of office procedures on a regular basis to ensure that best practice is followed; making changes where these are deemed to be advantageous;
- To attend School Admin meetings;
- Attend and Assist with the organization of Open Events e.g. managing attendee lists and updating contact information
- General administrative duties as required
Education and qualifications
- Secretarial qualifications would be desirable but not essential
- Confident proficiency in Microsoft Office and general IT literacy
- Previous experience of working in a School or similar charity environment would be an advantage;
- Good communication skills, with confident clear telephone skills
- General office and administrative skills.
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication as well as in listening, ability to form strong relationships with staff, parents, pupils, prospective pupils and visitors and to engage proactively and confidently with a wide range of audiences
- Ability to present a calm, courteous and professional image at all times, whether on the telephone or in person
- Proven team working skills;
- Professional appearance, cheerful, positive, enthusiastic and hardworking;
- Able to work in a busy office environment and deal with conflicting deadlines;
- Excellent organisational skills with a high level of attention to detail and a methodical and conscientious approach;
- Able to work independently and use own initiative;
- Articulate, with good written and oral communication and interpersonal skills to enable effective relationships with staff, parents and the wider Community;
- An empathy towards the work of the School, which is concerned primarily with the education and care of pupils aged from 3 to 16.
- Physical fitness to move around the School
- Organisation, discretion, flexibility and attention to detail
- Have a flexible attitude – as no two days are the same and the workload varies through the school year
During the course of employment, you will have access to information of a confidential nature. Under no circumstances may this information be divulged or passed on to any unauthorised person or organisation. In addition, he/she must process the data and personal information in accordance with the terms and conditions of the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and properly applied to pupil, staff and school business/information.
The post holder will be required to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people, and follow school policies and the staff code of conduct.
Please note that this is illustrative of the general nature and level of responsibility of the role. It is not a comprehensive list of all tasks that the teacher will carry out. The post holder may be required to do other duties appropriate to the level of the role, as directed by the principal or line manager.
Notes: This job description may be amended at any time in consultation with the post holder.
Last review date: May 2020
Principal’s signature: _______________________________________
Post holder’s signature: _______________________________________